Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Natural Born Killers

This is a film that I am very familiar with, for I own the DVD and have seen it numerous times. I have always been a fan of Oliver Stone- everything from JFK to Platoon. But, none of his other work compares to his guerrilla style film making with Natural Born Killers.

NBK is a crazy ride that takes the audience on a psychedelic, fast-paced, scary, eye-opening, and yet humorous journey. The film covers so many topics- everything from sex, violence, the media, love, and religion.

I love the cinematography in this film because it is different. Stone uses different filters and colors to provide more symbolism to what he is trying to convey on screen. I love how shots go from color to black and white when Robert Downey Jr's character comes on.

This film is pretty much the equivalent of an acid trip. Not that I would know from personal experience but I have friends who do and have told me that this is pretty close to it. What I found interesting in the reading was the description of Stone himself. I never realized how truly out there and messed up he was, and granted I knew that he did have some problems- especially when it came to politics. In the reading, a New Yorker article stated "Oliver Stone is a man much like Mickey: a man given to "tirades and bad behaviors, to womanizing and long, intoxicated journeys into the night." The reading goes onto describe how Stone would go on "mushroom fueled journeys to Arizona and New Mexico for location scouts." And how he was known to just fondle employees like it was no big deal on set. Becoming aware of this it all makes sense as to how messed up this movie is. It is now interesting to go back and watch this film knowing that Mickey is this exaggerated form of Stone.

The film also deals a lot with sex and incest. Probably one of the most intense and uncomfortable scenes is the "I Love Mallory" television show. It features Rodney Dangerfield as her father who is abusive- physically and sexually. In the piece it is shown that he raped his daughter Mallory. I remember when I first saw this years ago and feeling so strange and uncomfortable when the laugh track would be played at the most inappropriate times.

This scene is a very interesting one because it shows the effects of sexual abuse and one's psychological reaction to it. The reading discusses how Mallory's attraction to Mickey is due to her abusive father and upbringing. "As an incest victim, she has been broken in by her father and thus is primed for the sadistic Mickey's controlling embrace." I find this truly interesting because it does make sense. Here is a man who kills innocent people and does not show any regrets. But he is a man who loves Mallory, a man who will do anything for her. Mallory, a girl who has never been truly loved by a man in a moral way, naturally falls for Mickey, although blind to the many faults that exist within him.

Natural Born Killers is a film that studies childhood upbringing and the effects on children. It is a film that demonstrates early traumatic stress and trauma can result in drastic and scary measures.

4 comments:

  1. Agreed. I saw the movie a while back and I was blown away at how intense it was. I had seen several crazy movies but this is totally in the top 5 most insane. But yeah..I'm glad you pointed out the idea of Oliver Stone being "a man much like Mickey" I didn't realize that and it really sparked my interests after the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea it definitely sparked my intereest as well. I mean it makes watching that movie so intersting now knowing some of the sources of influence for the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acid doesn't make you that mean, though it can certainly do bendy things with visual perception. That little bit about Stone flipped me out as well--I could have happily not known that. I thought he was making a commentary against violence, but it seems as if he's almost celebrating it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stone is one sick puppy and I don't mean that to make him sound cool or something, I think he's probably out of his mind. I love the visuals in this film. It's an all out attack on the senses. And yeah, acid does not make you kill people, but Stone's visual style is without a doubt influenced by psychedelics (was that in the reading about him doing location scouting on acid or peyote or something?)

    ReplyDelete