Monday, April 6, 2009

But Mommy...I don't want to...

First off, I freaking loved this movie. At first I wasn't sure if I would because I did not enjoy the remake with Denzel Washington. But maybe that is because I was a little too young to fully grasp some of the concepts and ideas of the film. However the original film was very good- from the actors to the dialogue, and the suspense to the plot.
I really enjoyed the cinematography of this film. I felt that the black and white worked well for it, using lights and shadows. I really enjoyed the whole hypntizing idea and the use of solitaire and the queen of diamonds to express that.
This film is interesting because it is a historic piece that mirrored current events of its time. It reflected the views and ideas that were spreading through the world due to the Cold War and Communism. It even dealt with the idea of "momism." Momism was coined by Philip Wylie, an author who wrote that "A mom was a self righteous, hypocritical, sexually repressed, middle aged woman...in which the women of America raped men." Wylie also discusses how the mom would manipulate husband and son for her own best interests.
The Manchurian Candidate is a perfect example when it comes to discussing "momism." In the film, Raymond Shaw, is a former Korean War POW who is brainwashed by Communists to become a political assassin. What is even crazier, is his own mother is somehow in cahoots with this whole operation. She is right up there with the other Communists when it comes to getting Raymond to assassinate their targets. Its interesting to watch this film knowing that the director is addressing the whole "momism" idea. Angela Lanzbury, the mother, portrayed the perfect manipulative mother. She was very calm with Raymond, but very decisive and clear with what she wanted- to have her son assassinate the newly official , so she can become more powerful.
What is also interesting about this film is how Raymond kills his mother in the end- instead of the elected official. Wylie discusses how in the unconscious mind- the "mom" disempowers the husband or son, and in the conscious mind - the "mom" becomes the target. In the film, when Raymond is "un-brainwashed" by Frank Sinatra, he begins to think for himself. He realizes he cannot listen to mother anymore and that she is the true target and the cause of all the evil that is being brought upon him. So Raymond turns the gun at her instead.
I'm not sure if I fully grasp this whole "momism" thing, but I feel I am starting to anyway, because it is pretty darn intriguing.

3 comments:

  1. In another blog I just read, it commented on how she didn't really get how the "momism" thing occured either. I agree that I cant see how that was a real concern of people back then. Mothers taking over their sons. I loved though that Raymond did kill his mother in the end, only realizing the only true way of escaping was taking his own life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those examples of cultural anxieties that had very little to do with actual realities. People weren't concerned about mom's, but Wylie was. He was worried about communists too. The common thread is--infiltrating and mind control from within.

    I'll try and remember to answer this more fully in class, since a few people were wondering about this.

    I'd have liked to hear more from you, from a technical standpoint, why you think the black and white was effective--somebody else asked why the director Frankenhamer made that choice, when color was available and common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momism is a weird thing. It kind of makes me laugh, only because it seems so absurd now though. I don't think I liked the Denzel thing either but to be honest I don't even remember. I don't know if I fully get momism either, now that I'm thinking about it. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete